Qualification: Certificate III Engineering – Mechanical
Host: Davey Water Product Pty Ltd
Victoria Caskie was inspired to look for an apprenticeship after she developed a keen interest in tools from her father and uncle, who had both work in the Engineering industry. “I enjoyed watching my father and uncle and loved being able to help them and get my hands dirty” Tori said. “As I grew up I realised that this was a job path that I desperately wanted to follow”. She received great support and encouragement from her father and uncle and they are both very proud of her achievements in the trade.
After finishing her Year 12 studies at Rowville Secondary College she decided that starting an apprenticeship in the Engineering Mechanical trade was the best way to go. In 2008 she began an apprenticeship in Engineering – Mechanical with the Ai Group Apprentice & Trainee Centre (Ai Group ATC) and was hosted to Davey Water Products in Scoresby. During her apprenticeship Tori was successful in winning a number of awards which included:
- Being a finalist in the Victorian Training Awards – Apprentice of the Year 2012.
- Runner Up Greater Dandenong Chamber of Commerce “Youth Enterprise Award”
- Won the Endeavour Outbound Mobility Program Scholarship – where she studied in Malaysia for 2 weeks.
- Best Apprentice level 2 – Certificate 3 in Engineering Mechanical at Chisholm Institute.
- Won the Caroline Chisholm education foundation scholarship
- Attended ‘Todays Skills, Tomorrow’s Leader’s’ program in Canberra where she was asked to address the Governor General.
After completing her apprenticeship she continued her studies and has since completed an Advanced Diploma in Engineering (Mechatronics) at University and also undertook a course in Business Management to improve her management skills.
As a ‘woman in a non-traditional trade’, Tori has certainly been a high achiever. She has continued to progress her career and is now employed by her Host organisation, Davey Water Products. Tori is a great example of what can be achieved by hard work and determination through an apprenticeship in Engineering.