Safety Alert – Using Stanley or Utility Knives
WHS ALERT – Cuts/Lacerations – Stanley Knives
Safety Alert “ALL INJURIES CAN BE PREVENTED”
There’s one hand tool that demands your respect over many others in the workplace, a tool that can cut you to the bone in an instant . . . the Stanley Knife.
Many Apprentices use Stanley Knives to cut strapping, puncture shrink-wrap or open packaging. But one wrong move and these retractable blades can do serious harm.
So far this year there has been a total of 14 cuts/lacerations some involving Stanley Knives.
Many accidents involving Stanley Knives occur for the following reasons:
- Drawing the knife towards you instead of away from your body.
- The knife not having an automatic retractable blade.
- Working with a dull blade. (Dull blades require more pressure, increasing the potential for injury.)
- Trying to cut more than the knife can handle.
- Failing to wear personal protective equipment.
- Neglecting to inspect the tool before use.
Some tips when you need to use a Stanley Knife:
- Wear safety glasses to protect your eyes in case a blade breaks.
- Always use a sharp blade. They are safer than a dull blade.
- Wear cut resistant gloves and sleeves to protect your hands and arms.
- Always work on a stable surface
- Don’t apply too much pressure on the blade.
- Follow manufacturer’s instructions when changing blades.
- Don’t use Stanley Knives to pry loose objects.
Remember only use a Stanley Knife if there is no other alternative!
Ai Group Apprentice & Trainee Centre Apprentices should not use a Stanley knife that does not have a retractable blade.
If you have any safety concerns or issues, please use the contacts below:
L2 100 George Street
Parramatta NSW 2150
Kylie Clynes – Business Support Officer
Tel: 02 6041 0607
Fax: 02 9466 5432
Employment & Training Consultant / Apprentice Mentor
Mob: 0404 019 298 / Tel: 08 8394 0037
Employment & Training Consultant & Mentor – VIC
Mob: 0412 885 018 / Tel: 03 9867 0127
Higher Apprenticeship Consultant
Mob: 0417 246 444 / Tel: 03 9867 0201
PERTH STATE OFFICE
Suite 6, South Shore Centre
85 South Perth Esplanade
SOUTH PERTH WA 6151
Finance & Business Manager
Tel: 03 9867 0151
Tel: 03 9867 0220
Tel: 03 9867 0220
Tel: 03 9867 0211