Spatial Awareness – Safety Newsletter June 2020
“Increase personal safety through spatial or situational awareness”
Simply put, spatial or situational awareness is the act of paying attention to what is going on around you, understanding how it affects you, and using that information to make decisions and act if needed. Maintaining spatial awareness is an active process.
As you walk down the street, your situation constantly changes; you pass different people, different doorways, cross streets, etc. These are all changes in your situation and each presents a potential safety issue.
Everyone is different; some people are naturally more or less aware of their surroundings than others.
The same process should be used while you are at work.
See below – some tips to increase your spatial awareness!
- Be aware of your workspace;
- Identify what plant or machinery is being used around you;
- Identify what type of work is being conducted nearby;
- Look out for forklifts, overhead cranes, or any other activity that could harm you;
- Listen for noises to identify what else is going on around you;
- Use your hands to use handrails when climbing stairs and feet and eyes to see and feel for tripping hazards;
- Use your sense of smell to identify welding, grinding or any potential chemical smells that might cause you harm; and
- Don’t be distracted by mobile phones or horseplay with other colleagues.
Remember: Watch, listen, touch, smell.
Using the body’s senses and having spatial awareness is one of the most effective risk assessments we can adopt to keep ourselves and everybody else safe.
Think about it as constantly doing a “Take 5”.
L2 100 George Street
Parramatta NSW 2150
Kylie Clynes – Business Support Officer
Tel: 02 6041 0607
Fax: 02 9466 5432
Employment & Training Consultant / Apprentice Mentor
Mob: 0404 019 298 / Tel: 08 8394 0037
Employment & Training Consultant & Mentor – VIC
Mob: 0412 885 018 / Tel: 03 9867 0127
Higher Apprenticeship Consultant
Mob: 0417 246 444 / Tel: 03 9867 0201
PERTH STATE OFFICE
Suite 6, South Shore Centre
85 South Perth Esplanade
SOUTH PERTH WA 6151
Finance & Business Manager
Tel: 03 9867 0151
Tel: 03 9867 0220
Tel: 03 9867 0220
Tel: 03 9867 0211